Old July 23rd 15, 12:04 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Thirsty Moth

Savageduck wrote:

Like me, PeterN is trying to find out how it is possible for a printer
to swallow a raw file and spit out an image. My understanding is that
this is not possible. You seem to be supporting that view by extending
the argument to 'conversion'.

Go to Lightroom and select any NEF or DNG you have available. If you
want to make whatever adjustments and edits you choose to (including
aspect ratio crops) in the Develop Module, or not.

Next go to the print module and you will find that you should have
little trouble printing that NEF, or DNG, all without an intermediate
JPEG phase. As I said I don't have any JPEGs in Lightroom.

As to what Lightroom does as an intermediate phase I have no idea, as
it doesn't leave any evidence of sneakily creating a JPEG without my
knowledge.

it doesn't need to create anything. all it does is render the image
based on any edits you've made and sends it to the display or printer.