Old October 5th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

Default Compress different parts of a pix by different amounts?

On Oct 5, 2:18 am, mike wrote:
I don't know the proper terms, but here's the idea.
Take a big pix at high resolution (eg spectators at a football game).
Use a combination of pixel scaling and compression to
get a highly compressed picture, small file size, picture 1.
Print picture 1.
Print the original picture.
Take scissors and cut out small parts of the high resolution
(eg a face)
pix and glue them on Picture 1 in the right places.

Wanna do that digitally.

I want small file size. I want the big picture for context.
I want high resolution in a few small parts of the picture.
I'd like to render the picture on a windows PC without extra stuff.
Would be nice to be able to put the pix on a website and have
a standard PC browser render it correctly. I want it freeware.

Ideas?
Thanks, mike

--
Return address is VALID!

I suppose if you wanted the maximum result, you need to create two
layers. The bottom layer is the entire picture. Take that image and
reduce it's size (in dpi) but keep it the same position in your
software. Usually a screen is 72 dpi, so say, for the sake of
argument you reduce it to 36 dpi. That's 1/4th the size. Then take
the top (full resolution) image and cut out everything but the faces.
Then merge the layers and export as a jpg. I believe that will let
your compression software work better because you're gotten rid of
lots of detail.

Alternatively, you could set your colors in the "low res" area to, say
8 color, and keep the faces at full color and reduce the data that way.