Old October 19th 05, 02:46 AM
Dan Wojciechowski

Default Film photographer trying to keep an open mind

"Paul" wrote in message
Some tips re card handling:

Some good advice Paul, but I'll add some detail.

*** Always format rather than delete all

If done in the camera, either should work equally well.

I have seen many customers unknowingly returning modified images back
to their memory card. Most cameras will not recognise these modified
images. This results in a/ reduction in capacity and b/ possible
fragmentation of the card which may affect card performance

Agreed. Writing files the camera doesn't like onto the card isn't a good
idea. Worse is formating the card in the computer and using a format
the camera doesn't recognize.

*** Handle with care. Be aware of possible static and energy fields

While always a good idea around any kind of chips, memory cards are
relatively well protected compared to exposed chips on boards in your
computers and TVs, etc.

Not something to fear, but computer technicians earth themselves to
computers when handling memory chips. Imagine having just walked across
your synthetic carpet and placing your memory card on a table. There
could be a static discharge (which you would probably be unaware of)
which MAY damage your memory card. When removing your card place it in
the container which is usually supplied with cards.

The container supplied with the card is definitely not an identifed static
safe environment. The implies that the need for such an environment is
realatively small. Remember, memory cards were designed with the
idea they would be handled. Certainly not the case with most ICs.

Do not place your memory card directly on or against your mobile phone,
the top of a computer monitor, etc

Almost certainly an unnecessary precaution, but being careful never hurts.
Memory cards are not succeptible to the low level EM fields around these
devices.

*** Do not remove a card from a reader while reading or writing

Now, that's a *GREAT* piece of advise. I'd guess that trashing a card
by pulling it out when it is use (be it in a card reader or a camera) is
in the top three reasons why people really have trouble with their cards.
Remember, this includes turning off the power while the card is being
accessed as well.

This may physically damage the card. If you want to be paranoid then

Actually, I don't think its likely to damage the card, since they are by
design hot insertable. But it can scramble a file, a directory, or the
FAT.

put the card in your reader before starting the computer and leave it
there until you shut it down. Otherwise just be sure all reads and
writes have ceased.

Using the Windows Eject/Safe_to_Remove mechanism is just as good.

If your computer (or camera) freezes, remove power before removing your
card.

*** If the worst does happen, put the card aside immediately and seek
advice.
If you really do not know what you are doing you may make the problem
worse. If the card can be physically accessed then the images are
probably retrievable.

Yes, there are some good recovery programs, either freely available, or
at a small cost that can retrieve an amazing amount of "lost" pictures. }

Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]
"When I was a child / I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye. / I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now / The child is grown,
The dream is gone. / I have become comfortably numb."