Old August 4th 15, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

Default Inexplicably, Nikon, known for rapacious lens prices releases acheap 200-500mm f/5.6

On 04/08/2015 17:06, RichA wrote:
$1400? How? If it turns out to be good, it'll be the biggest bargain they've offered.

Rumour is Tamron might have built it. I sure hope not. If they release a 24mp D400 and this lens, it would be a wildlife shooter's dream. Compact and powerful.

Fantastic and about time.
Isn't the Nikkor 10-24 DX lens made by Tamron?
Perhaps Tamron (& Sigma) proved another point - that optically very good
long "consumer" zooms can be made at a much lower price point than
anybody expected.
Nikon were really pushing it with their 80-400 AFS - with pro-level
pricing for something quite ordinary. I'd be surprised if the 200-500
is any worse in build quality, weather sealing etc.
It's a great time for Nikon DSLR owners.