Old February 27th 18, 08:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_10_]

Default A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows withoutinstalling anything on either

nospam wrote:
In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

The whole saga is over and done with since Microsoft can't recover the
operating system they, themselves, bricked, and where two different
Microsoft Retail store employees told me this is very common, where they
get a system bricked by the Windows 10 update at least once a day.
big deal. there more than half a billion win10 users. once a day per
store is nothing.

You talk like the developers I used to work with long ago, where they
figured bugs were just something that you have to learn to live with.

all software has bugs.

the reality is that win10 bricking is extremely rare and in your case,
it's almost certainly due to something you did rather than microsoft's
error.

One of the recent issues (in 2018), was the refusal
to boot of older AMD processor based systems. This isn't
true bricking (ruining of file system), but it did prevent
people from using their computers. The user "Cameo" in the
group had an AMD system suffer that fate, and Cameo
figured out the necessary DISM command to reverse it
and got the system running again.

It's unclear exactly what kind of blooper hit Ultred's
machine, as the symptoms don't seem to match anything
I could find. A little offline DISM or SFC should have
repaired the OS base, assuming that the file system
really wasn't trashed.

My Windows 10 Insider about a week ago (I have two OSes
running Insider), both of them suffered Voumme Bitmap
trouble, as well as a series of Extended Attributes issues.
And Microsoft has been screwing around with Extended Attributes,
so it's not exactly a random occurrence. I was able to fix that,
and I was initially concerned I'd have to reinstall. But CHKDSK
came through.

The Win10 16299 is also making "bad" NTFS partitions now.
The $MFTMIRR is wrong. If you're making NTFS partitions while
running the latest version of Windows 10, I recommend going back
to Windows 7 and doing your partitioning there instead. I've had
to repair a number of $MFTMIRR entries on NTFS volumes.

It's funny that the level of "innocent" "tee hee hee" errors
is going up, at a time when we're so far along in Windows 10
development. I just can't figure out what these people
are smoking. It's worse than the webcam fiasco (where they
added a busted implementation of FrameServe to webcams,
and my webcam wouldn't work for three months). Even a chimpanzee
with one hand tied behind his back, could have backed out those
changes, apologized and fixed my webcam in a week or two, tops.
Instead, it was full speed ahead and "screw you" if you need
that webcam. "Software as a service". Um, OK. Gotcha.

Paul