Old February 27th 18, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_10_]

Default A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows withoutinstalling anything on either

ultred ragnusen wrote:
Paul wrote:

I had another think about this, and the first question I've
got is

What utility is this ? "Finished" box.

http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/...x_error_01.jpg

Oh. That. It's simply the dialog that Knoppix gives you when you select a
directory to right click and "copy" and then you select a location to right
click and "paste".

Anyway, I picked up the machine from the Microsoft Store today where they
found nothing wrong with the HDD or memory, but they couldn't recover the
operating system. I asked them what they ran and they spit off a bunch of
words (fixboot, scanos, chkdsk, diskpart) but mostly they said they used
"bcdedit" after running full diagnostics on the HDD and RAM and
motherboard.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/...il_store_2.jpg

I see a dialog box with the word "Finished" but I can't tell what
utility put that dialog box there.

It's just the normal copy and paste of Knoppix.
But it's all over. The Microsoft Update bricked OS is a goner because I
tried both Microsoft telephone support and the retail store in the middle
of Silicon Valley (right across from the Apple store).
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/...il_store_3.jpg

The bricked MS Windows 10 update is just a disk drive now.
Windows seems to mount it just fine once I bought a SATA III cable and a
molex-to-SATA connector to hook it up as a second HDD.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/...e_system_2.jpg
(BTW, I have no idea what that 100GB "system reserved" partition is as I
didn't make it to my knowledge.)

System Reserved can be several different sizes.

If it's small like your 100MB example, you may find \BOOT
in there as well as \BOOT\BCD. If that was the case, the "Active"
or 0x80 Boot flag would also be set on that partition. The
MBR code would be looking to that partition, for the boot
manager. The BCD is the binary file with boot settings
in it.

You can look in there with your TestDisk.

Linux can be a nuisance at times, and deny access, so
sometimes it takes more work than you might have expected.
I might have had trouble with a 0x17 partition type (Hidden
NTFS) and needed to change it to 0x07 (using sudo fdisk)
and then needed to reboot. It helps to have your LiveCD
on a USB stick, for days like that :-)

If you do find your /BOOT in there, it's possible
to move it to the main C: partition. It's kept separate
like that for BitLocker users. The idea being, you can
encrypt the entire C: drive, and leave System Reserved
visible. And that's how the OS can boot. If you insist
on moving the contents of System Reserved onto C: ,
then your config is no longer "BitLocker Ready".

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

I think the BitLocker on Windows 7 uses the Elephant
Diffuser and it was removed from Windows 10. If encryption
had "belt and suspenders" the Windows 10 version is just
"belt". They removed the suspenders.

Paul