Old November 22nd 04, 04:02 AM

In message ,
Chris Cox wrote:

It is exactly what is happening here. I get 0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, etc. No
2, 6, 7, 11, etc, at all, no matter what is done to the data.

And, again, without your original data - I can't guess what could have
gone wrong.

I do know that for anyone else doing a similar experiment (inside and
outside Adobe), they get the full 32769 values.

I already told what the data was - a binary file with the 16-bit
unsigned values 0 through 65535. That's it:

00 00 01 00 02 00 03 00 .... fb ff fc ff fd ff fe ff ff ff

load as .raw, 256*256, 1 channel, 16-bit, IBM/PC, 0 header.

Lots of values posterized, beyond the 2-1 you'd expect from 16-15 bit.

Subsequently, I have tried greyscale with new file as well, and the same
thing happens. Lots of values don't exist, no matter how much you crush
the levels, blur, etc. They are simply impossible.

This happens on two completely independent PCs with CS installed, so it
can't be a binary corruption, unless something was corrupt off the CD.

Have you actually seen the values 2, 6, 7, or 11 in 16-bit greyscale
mode (w/16-bit checked in "Info") with color management disabled?
Recently?
--

John P Sheehy