Old July 9th 18, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default The new 100-400mm seems to work.

On 7/8/2018 11:06 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 8, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In , Eric Stevens
says...

On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 00:17:15 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jul 7, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/18 PDT 6:33 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Today in the wind North of San Simeon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4HpnjD4/0/9f7b73b9/O/i-4HpnjD4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DptDNMM/0/d66445c3/O/i-DptDNMM.jpg
Oh, yes, indeed!

Thanks.

Here are two mo

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KDb6FXK/0/e0a99e61/O/i-KDb6FXK.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VHS3kWL/0/e44ea180/O/i-VHS3kWL.jpg

I don't want to seem difficult - but I guess I am.

There was a time when, if I had submitted those images, as interesting
as they were to me, you would have said harsh words to me about the
fuzziness of the image. It wouldn't have been a personal attack but a
strong criticism. I am particularly thinking of those first
photographs of the Mosquito about which your comments were perfectly
justified.

What I would really like to know is a little more about the
processing, particularly about the extent to which the images were
cropped and what else if anything was done in their processing. I
suspect from their general lack of sharpness and their apparent noise
or graininess that they have been heavily cropped.

I noted from the EXIF that you were using f/8 at 1/500 with a 200 ASA.
Have you tried shots at a higher speed with a lesser f number?

I was about to ask the same thing, because indeed not all images are
tack sharp.

I also shot windsurfers with the OLympus 75-300 at 300mm (same field of
view as 400mm on APS-C). This is the budget tele lens of Olympus
(inexpensive and relatively lightweight). Of the images I got many were
blurred (perhaps motion blur), a few were quite sharp.

In both cases (Fuji and Olympus) the lack of sharpness could be due to
motion blur and/or imprecise AF (camera not being able to focus
precisely fast enough) - just guessing.

The only thing I can think of was the very strong wind factor, and the
possibility that the OIS was just not able to keep up.

Try my quick and dirty test to sharp. Shoot a brick wall.
That will quickly tell you if you have a lens issue.

--
PeterN