Old September 4th 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Default Geezer installing a darkroom ...

September 4, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

My landlord would love me if he only knew
what I've done for him. He rented me a
kitchen sink drain that contained two plastic
straws, a plastic chopstick, and two
stainless steel dinner forks. Quite a feat to
get them all down there. So, while warming up
for the main act of putting in the darkroom,
I made the kitchen work. Next was the toilet,
which had some broken pieces of plastic
obstructing the drain. Then came the bathtub
which must have had lots of hair and soapy
gunk down there, because a sodium hydroxide
type drain clearer worked in a couple of
minutes. Whatever was in there got eaten up
and suddenly the drain drained.

So all that remained was the bathroom sink
drain. This was the one I planned for a
connection that would drain my darkroom,
which is just on the other side of the wall.
It was made of that overpriced chrome plated
brass pipe that is supposed to look good
under a sink. Unfortunately it had been
sitting there since 1977. By the time I pried
the screw connections loose I could see the
edges inside the pipe were bent and frayed.
Anyway, no cheapskate move like finding a
matching Tee fitting and getting it in there
like it matched. Nice new ABS pipe all the
way from the sink drain to the pipe
disappearing down the wall. Holes cut through
the wall and nice fresh ABS DWV pipe down
along the wall to my sinks. Hooray. Flexible
bilge hose from the sinks to the drain pipe
so the sinks can be moved if necessary.

I haven't done any plumbing in twenty five
years. I had almost forgotten the fragrance
of ABS plastic cement. And the thrill of
getting it off skin! Once upon a time I could
cut up the requisite hunks of pipe, open the
glue can, smear it all over in just the right
places, and carefully assemble the plastic
trombone without getting a spot on my hands.
But no more. My father always used to
complain that his hands became more and more
"un-nimble" as he got older. Damned if my
hands aren't un-nimble compared to days gone
by!

I also haven't soldered any copper pipe in
many years. Two short pieces of garden
variety half inch copper pipe with little
fittings on the ends. They didn't even come
up to being called a trombone. All morning
poking over them. I'm just glad I'm not going
to be getting enough practice to become
speedy. I just love those nice stainless
steel braid covered flexible hoses made for
connecting the hot and cold lines. They go
through a hole in the wall so effortlessly.

Pretty soon I'll have the pleasure of lifting
my enlarger up off the floor onto a nice dry
side I have yet to create. But I have the
right stuff for it - a stainless steel table
top forty one inches by nine feet. The most
ridiculous things come for free. I had to
scrub bakery evidence off it, but that was a
small price to pay.

So, lifting heavy objects in my near future.
And a trapeze act to darken the windows.
Meanwhile there is exposed film waiting and
waiting.

(I could have teenager assistance lifting the
enlarger - but would that be wise? Or should
I get help from my overweight geezer buddy
that I at least trust??)

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.