Old September 3rd 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
K W Hart

Default Geezer installing a darkroom ...

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
m...
"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

A standard air conditioner will provide you with ventilation. Most have a
lever that controls a small door to the outside.

It depends on the air conditioner. I have a GE that will draw all air
from
the outside, cool it and then blow it into the room if the lever is set to
'fresh air'. I also have a Sharp where I think the lever is just there to
amuse you - it seems to do nothing at all.

Lightproof these things are not - they use white styrofoam for air
passages and separating the inside from the outside.

Had an old 1950's Emerson that was light tight. And noisy.
And inefficient. And it dripped water. And weighed a ton, it
took two people to wrestle it in and out of the window.

I have seen 'portable' air conditioners that use a hose that sticks
out the window - like a dryer hose - via an adapter panel. I thought
one of these with a blacked-out hose would make an ideal darkroom
airconditioner but Consumer Reports rated them badly. Anybody have
experience with these things.

I have converted a 2nd floor bedroom into a darkroom. In order to
preserve a normal look to the house I have lowered and closed venetian
blinds in the windows - they are white so the reflect some of the
sunlight.
The inside of the window has a wooden frame pressed around it and a
masonite panel - chipboard would work just as well if the frames are
going to stay in place.

And...

Glad to see you back, Lloyd.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Straying away from darkrooms into air conditioners, Mitsubishi makes a two
part system: the air handler mounts inside the room, usually near the
ceiling and the compressor goes outside, like a normal whole house air
conditioner system. The systems are available in different sizes and the
compressors can handle one, two, or three air handlers. Of course with such
a unit, there is no option for outside air.