Old October 6th 03, 12:57 AM
zeitgeist

Default taking pictures in a museum

I am going to be using my Canon TX to take pictures of pottery and quilts

in
a museum. the museum is well lit, but I am new at the 35mm SLR experience
and would appreciate any tips on what lens to use to get a good shot, what
type film (I was thinking 400ASA) and how best to get the great shot. I am
not planning to use a flash.
thanks

most museums have subdued light, even a brightly lighted one wouldn't be any
brighter than say an office which is a fairly standard level. So you would
need a lens that is at least f/2 and can hand hold at least 1/15th. Keep
in mind that without special permission you are likely not allowed to use a
tripod, or even a monopod.

next question is, what is your objective? to get pictures of individual
items for your records, collection, as examples this or that kind of pot or
pattern? Or to get more creative images of particular items in relation to
the setting or other items, reacts of people to those items? for the
former, first why not just buy the postcards from the giftshop, but I'd most
likely use a slightly long lens like an f/1.8 85mm, if the former I'd most
likely use the widest lens available, an f/2 35mm at the minimum, but would
try to see what a 20mm could do.