Old May 4th 04, 05:01 AM
Donald Qualls

Default Effect of using ID-11 dillutions from stock

i dot hodge at tiscali dot co dot uk wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I was just looking through the ilford site to
find a film developer that matches more the kind of work I take now,
which is landscape and architecture and ID-11 look like it. I've just
never used a powder developer and only get through small amounts of
film. I've never used anyone elses chemistry, so are there are better
developers made by other manufactures?

If you develop seldom, you might want to consider a highly concentrate
liquid developer such as HC-110, Ilfotec HC (essentially identical to
HC-110), Rodinal or Calbe R09 (again, effectively the same developer
from different companies). I use HC-110 because it's very versatile and
economical, but many people prefer the look imparted by Rodinal, which
tends to produce very crisp, but somewhat grainy negatives by comparison.

The advantage of liquid concentrates is that you can dilute direct from
concentrate as you use the chemical, and the concentrate keeps much
longer than a stock solution of a product like D-76 or ID-11 -- HC-110
concentrate, broken down into smaller bottles with no air so most of the
concentrate is protected from oxygen and diluted as used, will keep for
more than a year. Rodinal concentrate is legendary for keeping for
years even in partially filled bottles. PMK Pyro is also known for its
keeping qualities in the stock solutions, and is sold as premixed A and
B solutions by Photographer's Formulary.

You might even try coffee. I've used it once with amazing results; 4
slightly rounded tsp coffee crystals (instant coffee), 2 tsp washing
soda (sodium carbonate monohydrate), to 8 ounces water produce a slow
acting staining developer; 25 minutes at 68 F for Plus-X, or 30 minutes
at 72 F for Tri-X, produce negatives with a distinct brown general
stain, what seems to be some imagewise stain, crisp grain and excellent
sharpness; they scan wonderfully. It's not Ilford, but it keeps well,
doesn't require storing a stock solution in air-excluded containers, and
it's economical.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm