Old April 19th 18, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.sys.mac.apps, comp.sys.mac.system
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On Apr 18, 2018, Alan Baker wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-04-18 6:21 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:36:51 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

So post all these files, and let's see if there's anything you've said
that ISN'T bull****.

The initial files had been posted for quite some time in the OP of
Can the latest Mac Adobe Illustrator read in Windows Adobe Illustrator CS2
"ai-format" files?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.apps/xiJFl-xbD1o

The latest batch was updated where this is the most recent post:
Here are the updated files from Adobe Illustrator in CS2 on Windows.

0. With the Roadgeek 2005 Series B font set already installed into the
system font directory on windows...
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/333rxp7d/file.html

OK. Got it, installed it, validated it.

1. Starting with signs.pptx from MS Office 2007 on Windows which has the
entire font set embedded but which only uses "Roadgeek 2005 Series B"
fonts.
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/EqdGVdCQ/file.html

2. I saved that as PDF using the official Microsoft Office Save-as-PDF
plugin, with embedded fonts saved into the PDF as signs.pdf.
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Zf65nNnd/file.html

3. I opened that PDF with Adobe Illustrator 12.0 from CS2 on Windows, which
popped up a form saying:
- Illustrator PDF: Warnings
- The document contains PDF objects that have been reinterpreted:
- The font Roadgeek#202005#20Series#20B is missing. (sic)
- Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font. (sic)
- I substituted the RoadGeek font

So you substitute one RoadGeek font for another, or did PowerPoint ****
up the embedding?

4. I then selected all with control a, and then pressed
AI: Type Font (I selected "Roadgeek 2005 Series B"
using the dumbest GUI there could possibly be for a font selection,
which is to endlessly scroll, manually, since typing "R" doesn't
work and AI is too stupid to have a scroll bar - but no big deal,
eventually it scrolled to the Roadgeek 2005 Series B font to then
save as "signs_with_font_substituted.ai".

OK. I did it with the find/change dialog that came up in AI CC 2018. Not
my problem if you use bad software. Also not a Mac problem.

But I did it, and I noted that some of the text in the file was already
converted to paths before it was imported. All this

"CURB ‘UR" (where you used the wrong character for the apostrophe).
"PUPPY"

...was already converted to paths.

So how did that happen? Magic?

Your story starts to fall apart.

https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Dm3XIJJm/file.html

And that file too shows the "magical" text which converted itself to
paths...

5. I then pressed control+a and then control+shift+o to create outlines
and saved that ai file as "signs_with_outlines.ai"
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/JGit6LU6/file.html

Where you stupidly added a stroke to the type you converted to totally
**** up the letter forms...

6 And then I chose EPS to save as "signs_with_outlines.eps"
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Vj43bvg2/file.html

7. And then I saved as SVG as "signs_with_outlines.svg".
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/KMSPgaup/file.html

When the #4 signs_with_outlines.ai is read into a current Mac Adobe AI at
the printers, the outlines are all screwed up.

Looks like operator error to me.

I believe that you have just brought this tedious thread to a screeching
halt.

Good work.

Savageduck