Old February 20th 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
ultred ragnusen

Default Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

My apologies to Bob_S in another thread: I'd thought the "wrote" line,
without saying _who_ wrote it, was exclusive to him and his WLM15. But
Ultred, your "40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.84" is doing it too.

I had the variable name wrong, which is "full-name" and "from" instead of
"name". This should be fixed. Thanks for being a good netizen by pointing
that out gracefully.

BeAr was just responding to your earlier use of "obscure", or similar
word or phrase, to describe IrfanView's method, by pointing out that it
is available by a long-winded way, and the shift-C is just a
convenience.

It's fine for folks to have minor confusion, as I did, since Usenet is a
flat medium where much must be inferred in the quest of asking a technical
question of the whole wide world, and then summarizing the best answers.

(IrfanView has lots of keyboard shortcuts, which - probably
_because_ there are so many of them - aren't intuitive [though do become
second-nature to any regular user, at least those who use the keyboard a
lot].)

I thank all that helped answer the question, where the answer came from all
quarters, some of whom suggested programs such as IrfanView and Fastone
which worked well, others suggested testcases such as ImageMagick and
ImBatch which were good suggestions but which failed the test (which is
fine), and still others, like Paul, kindly suggested how to set up the
programs to have sane menus such that Fastone is the best answer, overall,
with Irfanview a close second (IMHO).

(And I've seen the later post that adds a couple more.) Looks like
you're (or we're) doing a good public-service job of answering the
question. (Which isn't one _I_ had ever asked myself, but that's
irrelevant: if it's worth asking for you, it's worth asking!)

Yes. I'm an old hand at Usenet, as are most of us here have been here for
decades, under various nyms over the ages, where the best tribal-knowledge
threads follow something like this formula:
1. They ask a specific question
2. They summarize the answer for all to benefit
--- (that's the most important)
3. They try all viable suggestions
4. They report back which worked, which failed and why
--- (that's the second most important)
5. They try to stay on topic, but Usenet often veers off course
6. And they try to post to a ng that is archived by Google Groups
--- (that's the most important for future tribal knowledge leverage)
7. Lastly, they thank everyone and then disappear once resolved
?. Anything else?