Old February 22nd 12, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Will a new computer help?

On 2012-02-22 03:48 , Alan Justice wrote:

Oh yeah, sorry. My invoice does not say which USB. Pchased Aug. 2004. But
the question is will that type of port allow for a fast enough file access
(using Canon DPP) with a drive with a fast access speed?

FW 800 is very fast compared to USB 1 (and 2).

USB 3 is the flavour that is coming out a lot on PC's and many external
drives support it.

For PC's, e-SATA is very fast.

For Macs, the new Thunderbolt is extremely fast - but external drives so
far are very expensive with Thunderbolt. (Macs don't support eSATA
unfortunately - nor (to date) USB 3).

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).