Old January 5th 18, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default I've always hated Intel. Here's one more reason:

On 2018-01-04 16:06, RichA wrote:

I'm wondering what enormous impact a 20-30% slowdown in processing is going to do with massive installations like internet pipes, server farms, etc?

Given Apple's benchmarked results to date, the 5-30% (not 20-30)
speculated slowdown might be exaggerated. They are seeing no measurable
performance hit (3 3rd party benchmarks) for one flaw's mitigation; and
a "up to" 2.5% hit in 1 of 3 benchmarks for the other.

No point in taking their word for it yet. It's like how "review sites" (PAID review sites) of cameras always manage to miss key performance flaws that the consumers somehow find.

And yet I take Apple's word for it more than your sky-is-falling
horse**** any day. I have my share of complaints about Apple but when
they post such things they are usually accurate.

I did neglect to add, however, that Apple's "cure" in 10.13.2 might be a
partial fix for the three flaws. There is speculation about that the
upcoming 10.13.3 may further improve the fix and that that could have
impact on CPU performance. TBD.

Also the quoted 5-30% hit is theoretical - not real world. Could be
worse, but more likely ain't that bad. (And that would apply to other OS').

--
“When it is all said and done, there are approximately 94 million
full-time workers in private industry paying taxes to support 102