Old October 28th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

Default Washed out signs

Bob M wrote:
I am using a Kodak Z650 Zoom camera to try to make copies of old 35mm slides.
The results so far have been poor. I project the slides using a projector to a
screen about 4 feet from the projector and camera. On the subject photo, I can
see 2 signs on the bridge when looking at the screen. One says "Claremont, NH"
the other is something about a 20,000 pound load limit. I reduced the ISO to
80, the minimum. Set "High Sharpness". Tried Aperture priority set to maxmim
number (smallest opening). Tried shutter priority at 1/2 and 1 second. I use a
2 second delay so I don't shake the tripod}. The camera is set to 6 MP, and if
I shoot a test shot of text printed on a piece of paper where the text is the
same size as the signs, it comes out readable.
Any suggestions?

Hi Bob...

Way back when I tried what you're doing, and given that I'm
old and long retired with lots of time on my hands, I did every
experiment I could think of to get satisfactory results, but
failed. I suspect from your sample that you've done already
than I ever did, but of course cameras have much improved since
I did it, so...

Anyway, if you're looking for the best results, you want a
dedicated film/slide scanner, preferably with digital ice
to remove dust from your pics. (you will see it

Next best will be a flatbed scanner with a backlight for
scanning film/slides. I have an Epson which works great.

Be aware that if you have many slides/negs, it's a long and
tedious project. I've been at a lifetime collection for a
couple of years now, and am about half finished

Finally, if you insist on using your camera, don't project,
but rather get yourself a light box, and photograph the
slide/film directly. This will provide far better results
than projecting.

Just my two cents worth.

Take care.

Ken