Old October 23rd 14, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
don tuttle

Default Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha auto focus problem

In article , PAS
wrote:

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 10/5/2014 10:43 PM, Don Tuttle wrote:

Purchased Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony
Alpha
Camera. First put it on Sony A77. Auto focus fine for about 20 shots,
then AF stopped working. Turned camera off & on, re-seated lens, AF
still didn't work. Put lens on A65. AF would not work. Turned AF off
and on, messed with miscellaneous things (don't remember what), AF
started working again. Took 22 pics, then AF stopped working. Tried
all
previous actions but AF will now not work on either camera.

Does auto focus failure sound like faulty unit or could operator
error
or inability be the cause?

Thanks for help.
Don

I admit to a strong prejudice against Sigma. Some of my friends use
Tamron and never had a complaint. Contact Tamron support. They are
pretty good people. Could it possibly be an issue with your camera. If
practical, I would go to the dealer you purchased from, with camera
and lens.
BTW, I rarely use autofocus for macro work.

As Peter said, if you could go to the dealer you purchased it from (if
you didn't buy it online), it would be a good idea. You can test the
replacement lens with your camera to make sure it functions properly.
Most people I know who like to shoot don't use AF for macro work but my
concern, if I were in your shoes, would be that the lens may not be
communicating with the camera properly for more than just the AF. Today
it might be AF but tomorrow it may not communicate exposure settings,
the problem could be more than just with the AF.

Bought it online. Sent it back. Current phototographic subject is bees
and a few other insects, usually moving, therefore AF. Got another
Tamron, experienced similar problems (though rare, but enough to make
me lack confidence) when used with both A65 and A77. Am sending it back
and getting a Sigma. Thanks for all help/advice.

Don