Old April 1st 18, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 11:46:18 -0400, schrieb nospam:

he exposes the true trolls, you and your new bff, mayayana.

While you, nospam, always prove in every post that...
1. You lack technical competency
2. Hence, you merely guess (scoring about how the monkeys do)
3. Worse, you purposefully post only with malice and ill intent.

Meanwhile, on the adult platform newsgroup, we made tremendous progress,
and have solved the problem, with this verbatim snippet simply being just
one examples of the solutions proposed.

*** *** *** *** Adult purposefully helpful post from Paul *** *** *** ***
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4...uite-free.html
Last updated: January 14, 2013
Windows Serial number: 1130-1414-7569-4457-6613-5551
Developer: Adobe, License: Commercial OS: Windows File size: 1.5 GB
Installation:
http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/...nstall_Win.pdf
Tutorial:
http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/.../MLTI/VCS2.zip

In the CS2 incident, Adobe pulled the plug on their Activation Server.
This would have left legitimate customers with no means to re-install
the software when they wanted. This was still "buy to own" software
back in those days, and not rental software.

You would think that most customers would have registered their
purchase, and Adobe could mail some sort of details to each
customer, with a means of resolving the issue.

Instead, Adobe put up copies of the executable installers,
along with some sort of "generic" keys for each tool. People
started downloading both the license keys, and the executables,
who had not purchased the product originally. (Like this is a surprise.)

After a while, Adobe sent out a press release indicating this
wasn't some hidden intent. This wasn't "trial" software. And at that
point, the software wasn't their current version. It was an older version.

The presumption at the time was, the keys were cracked, and the
Activation Server really wasn't achieving anything. People who might
have been pirating the stuff, were probably getting hacked executables
and so on. But there isn't any additional information or background
story, as to why Adobe chose this route to solve the "legit customer"
problem with having an Activation Server turned off. The whole
episode was... pretty weird.

Sites continue, to this day, to present links to copies of that software.
Adobe might have required a user to set up an Adobe Account (just like
when you used to do a Trial with Adobe), to "gate" the download of those.
People who present copies today like TechSpot, do it so users don't have
to get an Adobe Account just to get the files.

There is a trick to installing it. Each EXE has an unpacker. The
first CD also includes an installer that starts right away.

You can unpack the software, anywhere you want. I put the unpacked
materials on C:\CS2 for example. When "1" unpacks, it creates
a folder "Adobe Creative CS2" or similar, and underneath that,
you might see one tool folder.

When you unpack 2,3,4 EXEs, you can copy the two or one or four
folders, and put them under C:\CS2\Adobe Creative CS2\ in parallel
with the tools on 1. This builds a folder with everything in it,
and the installer "stops asking for CD 2".

You might want to practice in a VM first, until you get the hang of
it.

Anyway, the purpose of the post, was to show that *some* representation
does open in Adobe Illustrator, if you pass a PDF.

The steps to post-process the work, to you or me don't seem onerous,
but the person actually doing the workflow will have their own
rules and methods of conducting business.

Generally, for embedded fonts, the intention is not to "carry" embedded
versions through multiple tools in a workflow. Any time a font needs
to be processed, the tool expects the full font to be available.
This "proves" the font is licensed for one thing, or that the
owner actually has a full copy of the font. The font itself may have
licensing bits, which indicate whether copies or embeds can be done

Full Font

Tool 1 Full Font
| |
+---- (embed font for ---- import --- Tool 2
print purposes) |
+--- embed subset...

That could be why the operator feels the need to "load" the
font for your "job". In the case of my LibreOffice experiment,
it was two fonts, because one font seems to be erroneously
referenced in the PDF.

People who do that sort of work, use "Font Managers". A Font
Manager may have folders with 10,000 fonts in it, and the
Font Manager loads only a subset into the system. This covers
situations where the system doesn't actually behave well if
there are 10,000 fonts in the system folder. I think I did a
test like that once, and the OS was borked well before getting
to a high number like that. So they might not "load" your
font in a conventional sense, but make it an entry in
the Font Manager which is loaded as a subset for the job.

Paul
*** *** *** *** Adult purposefully helpful post from Paul *** *** *** ***

The PDF seems to work.

Here is a simulation.

1) Sample file made in LibreOffice Impress (the equivalent of PowerPoint).
I selected a paper size of 17"x11" and I don't know if I could
have selected a paper size that you wanted. In any case,
this is the PDF exported from LibreOffice. The fonts are embedded.

I didn't want to put the word "squirrel" at the top of the drawing,
and LibreOffice tries to embed LiberationSerif font for nothing.
I added the title "squirrel" and applied LibrationSerif font, so
it would have something to embed. This stopped one warning from
Acrobat Reader when I verified the document exported.

https://s17.postimg.org/hne85qcbj/ex...uirrel_pdf.gif

2) This is Illustrator CS2 pulling in the PDF.

https://s17.postimg.org/4yjxm1qrj/illus_CS2.gif

Illustrator complains about both fonts in this case, even
though they're embedded. But it proceeds anyway to convert
the font to outlines and it shows the control points as
being selected.

The operator would then have to create a CutContour where the
red box I put around the outside is located. That's still going
to cost you a "layout" charge, simply because the machine
cannot start the printing process, unless a CutContour is
defined. Illustrator has at least two kinds of data stored
inside it, while PDF has only one. The Illustrator in a way,
is a "dual representation".

There's no point in me saving out the Illustrator .ai file,
as it really wouldn't have any meaning (i.e. I don't have
any more steps that I can realistically simulate).

If you remember the CS2 incident, this is what I used for
the simulation, in a VM. You need four files from this page,
a copy of QuickTime 6.0.0 from oldversions, your squirrel4.pdf,
to do the very quick Illustrator test.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4...uite-free.html

This test doesn't prove much of anything, except that the PDF
does pull into Illustrator. If you needed to "re-purpose" the
artwork while it was inside Illustrator, it might be quite
a challenge to do anything with it. It doesn't look like the
importation is "seamless", at least, it doesn't give that
impression so far. But for your purposes, it might not matter.

I got the idea to do the test, from here. I didn't need to
tick any boxes like "Convert All Text" or "Convert All Strokes"
and the tool seemed to do more or less what you wanted automatically.

http://blog.globalizationpartners.co...-are-lost.aspx

The edge of the font looks pretty weird, and I don't
know exactly how to describe how the font has been
converted. It doesn't look exactly like Bezier.

https://s17.postimg.org/ekijzkbf3/font_edges.gif

Paul

*** *** *** *** Adult purposefully helpful post from Paul *** *** *** ***