Old September 7th 14, 03:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

Default I made lemonade this morning.

On 2014-09-06 18:26:54 +0000, PeterN said:

I wanted to catch the sunrise this morning. A moderate fog came in, so
I took fog images.
As usual all constructive comments are welcome

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/dumbo%20at%20dawn_6447.jpg

For the pixel peepers, The image ws not sharpened and all adjustments
were made in ACR & PS.

It looks like a nice enough image composition & subject-wise, but why
can't you post a decent sized version?
372x750 isn't exactly large enough to appreciate.
Try something such as 900x1814. Then tell us what you actually did when
taking the shot, and what you did in post.

You might not have applied any sharpening, but there is a whole bunch of
other stuff I see which makes sharpening the least of the issues I have
with that image. It looks another of those great opportunity shots lost
due to questionable preparation.

I have a few questions:
Did you use a tripod?

Yes

Why did you choose the exposure settings you did, 1/30 @ f/16 & ISO 50,
when you had an f/4 lens and you D800?

30 sec. Not 1/30. At i/30 you would have seen the current ripping.

What did you actually do in post?
There seems to be some sort of attempt at duotone which doesn't really
work that well. There is also, what looks like a bunch of camera shake
and some CA &/or fringing (Hand held at 1/30 & ISO 50 will do that).

In post I did some cropping, removal of a lamp post, a bit of warming;
and lens correction in ACR.

I did not notice any camera shake, but will look ore closely tomorrow.
Just go home from a long dinner. There may be some fringing.

Time to cough up the NEF.

Manyana.

--
PeterN