Old June 29th 12, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Sigma highlights another problem with plastics, thermal change

On 2012-06-17 14:55 , nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne

Sigma does produce a few very good lenses.

if you luck out and get a good one, yes, but unfortunately, their
quality control is all over the map and it might take several copies to
do that.

In particular the FF 180mm f/3.5 (1:1) macro gives stellar results while

the tamron 180mm is a far more reliable choice than the sigma 180,

Since I have DIRECT knowledge of the Sigma in question I know there are
no doubts as to its quality - build and esp. in light of the images it
produces. A friend (who photographs more than most people) has had the
"film era" f/3.5 version for over 10 years and continues to put it to
great use. I'll take his experience and photos over net lore.

Doesn't say much about problems with QC. You two 'lucked out'
and got a good copy. Noone says Sigma cannot build good lenses
--- only that they don't do that consistently enough for comfort.

My three Sigma lenses have all been good copies as well.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info