Old September 18th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Neil Gould

Default Microtek 120TF Scanner - no support

Recently, viewerofrecphoto posted:

On Sep 18, 8:09 am, "Neil Gould" wrote:

Sorry to hear that the easy solution wasn't the fix.

If I follow what you've described, that it works soon after you turn
the unit on, but soon stops working, it sounds as if there is a bad
capacitor in the lamp's trigger voltage circuit.

There are 2 caps on the driver board - one connects to the lamp output
and the transformer. Its labeled "1S 3KV SEC:". The "S" might be an
"8"

This is a likely culprit. The key is the "...3KV...", or 3,000 volt
rating. All of the lamps had a trigger voltage higher than a couple
hundred volts, and it is typical that a capacitor such as this one would
feed a coil that connects to the lamp (you may be mistaking the coil for a
tranformer?). I'd replace this cap and see what happens.

The other cap is near the input, between ground and +12V and is
labeled
".47uf 50V"

I doubt that this cap would affect the problem at hand, but while you're
in there, replace it, too.

Neil