Old December 26th 17, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

Default iMac Pro - available to order very soon!

On 25/12/2017 05:30, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:08:10 UTC-5, Davoud wrote:
Whisky-dave:
Gonna be very expensive or rather a lot of money depending on how you
look at it. I think mac rumours thinbks the basic model will start at $5k.
I'd expect the 18 core to start at around $8k.

You understand that "expensive" and "lot of money" are relative to
one's desires, needs, and means, right?

As I see it the iMac Pro is cheap. Moving up a little from the base
model, a model equipped with a 3.0GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W processor,
64GB of RAM, a 4TB SSD, and a Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of RAM costs
$9100 after an organizational discount.

Compare to an SE/30, a quite capable machine in 1989. With 4MB of RAM
and an 80MB HD it cost $6569, which is $13,000 in 2017 dollars.

Thus a machine so powerful that its specs can't be compared to the
older machine costs only 70% of what the older machine cost.

Perhaps a better comparison would be a supercomputer such as the Cray,
priced in the $millions. The new iMac far outperforms many of the early
Crays. Cheap.

You can build a pretty respectable PC for $6.5k too. But IMO, people would do well to consider the screen as a lens in a camera system and invest there.

How well would the screen available in this package compare to an iMac's
27-inch iMac with Retina 4K display screen?

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspi...ilver/p3337539

This seems like quite good value.

--
David B.