Old December 26th 17, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default iMac Pro - available to order very soon!

On 2017-12-25 05:30:01 +0000, RichA said:

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:08:10 UTC-5, Davoud wrote:
Whisky-dave:
Gonna be very expensive or rather a lot of money depending on how you
look at it. I think mac rumours thinbks the basic model will start at $5k.
I'd expect the 18 core to start at around $8k.

You understand that "expensive" and "lot of money" are relative to
one's desires, needs, and means, right?

As I see it the iMac Pro is cheap. Moving up a little from the base
model, a model equipped with a 3.0GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W processor,
64GB of RAM, a 4TB SSD, and a Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of RAM costs
$9100 after an organizational discount.

Compare to an SE/30, a quite capable machine in 1989. With 4MB of RAM
and an 80MB HD it cost $6569, which is $13,000 in 2017 dollars.

Thus a machine so powerful that its specs can't be compared to the
older machine costs only 70% of what the older machine cost.

Perhaps a better comparison would be a supercomputer such as the Cray,
priced in the $millions. The new iMac far outperforms many of the early
Crays. Cheap.

You can build a pretty respectable PC for $6.5k too. But IMO, people
would do well to consider the screen as a lens in a camera system and
invest there.

Youpp! The displays on these iMac Pros should be of the same standard
as those in the standard iMacs and I'm not impressed by those,
cosidering the price. I'd like to see the internals of the Pro in a
mini Pro...
--
teleportation kills