Old February 10th 12, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Olympus OM enthusiasts' digital prayers have been answered ...

"K W Hart" writes:

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
Robert Coe writes:

"Professional cameras with small sensors" sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Maybe
you're right, but I'm not yet ready to believe it until I see it.

Well, the world eventually accepted 35mm cameras as a professional
format.

True that, but improvements in film helped 35mm to become accepted.
And top-quality images from 35mm are not as good as top-quality images from
medium- or large-format cameras can be.

But they were widely accepted for news coverage in the 1940s; it's not
recent.

You're quite right that film improvements were important in bringing
them into fashion and such areas. And of course the film improvements
improved the photojournalism, too.

Absolutely true that the technical quality of larger formats was (is)
better. However, 35mm also had advantages -- you could get much more
real, more natural, pictures of people, and better pictures of action.
For some kinds of photos, those are so important that the larger formats
were pretty much driven out of those fields. They're not much used in
photojournalism even as far back as the 1960s, for example.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info