Old July 20th 04, 01:32 PM
Renee

Default Comparing Compact Flash card types

"Kimberlee" wrote in message

snip

I was happy with the speed of the CF card's speed, and I was estatic with
what I'd learned to do in just a week.
Storing photos and taking photos in succession was not a problem, and I

shot
about 400 pics in 4 days; various settings, exposures and speeds.
The CF speed was not an issue (SanDisk 256).

I was thinking of getting just a couple more 256 cards until I tried to
shoot a video...not nearly enough storage space, so I'm going to go

bigger.
I understand that I can shoot up to 5" of video with a 1gb card.

snip

CF speed actually IS an issue when you're shooting video, Kimberlee. (I've
changed my outlook on things.) Try to make sure it's a high-speed card.

I didn't think there was a problem with shooting video on my S1 using slower
CF cards until last week. I took a couple of videos of people rock'n rolling
to some pop music. When I viewed the videos on my computer, the shots looked
smooth -- well, as smooth as you'd expect a rock's roller to look -- but the
audio sounded terrible. It sounded all choppy! Dropped frames is not
apparent in the video portion, but it must be happening based on what the
audio sounded like.

I have my sights set on the Transcend 40x 1 GB someday. The price seems
reasonable compared to the other brands.