Old June 8th 04, 02:31 PM
Brent

Thanks for the info. He is only asking for $70 for everthing, so it looks
like a good deal

"Photodad" wrote in message
First, let me mention that the first two digits of the serial number DO

NOT
directly correspond to the year of manufacture. This is a commonly held
misconception. Here is a quote from Michael Grandy's excellent site:

"The F started production in 1959. The serial # of the first F was

6400001.
So the years and the bodies don't match to begin with. By 1967, to the end
of production in May of 1974, serial numbers COINCIDENTALLY matched, at
least part of the time, the year of manufacture. It was a rough match, not
an exact one.

Nikon F production ended after 862,600 F's were made. Last number was
7451052. Note not all serial blocks were used."

Go to his site for a good historical review:

http://www.cameraquest.com/fhistory.htm

That said, it sounds like you are looking at a fairly average camera. The
market is pretty soft for Fs right now. You can find decent examples in
nearly every pawn shop. The larger stores, like B&H and Adorama, won't

even
buy them right now.

I track Fs on eBay regularly. The body would probably only get about $100
on eBay right now, and the lens about $75, if in truly excellent

condition.
Check the aperture blades for any sign of oil or any bends, and make sure
the focus is smooth through the entire range. I just bought the same

style
photomic head, with working meter, for $55.

Check the shutter carefully. While it is true that they are nearly bullet
proof, it is also true that tiny light leaks can develop when the curtains
are creased.

The mirror is most likely the foam. Mine does the same thing, but returns
on its own when I advance the film. Replacing the foam is relatively easy
(kits are available on eBay), but any further repair can really start
setting you back big money in a hurry.

My best advice is to not jump at the first F you see. There are a lot of
them around. Take your time and you can find some great deals. I

wouldn't
pay more than $200 to $225 for this one.

Hope that helps.

Walt

in article , Brent at

wrote on 6/7/04 11:30 PM:

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Here is some more information that I recieved

from
the seller and a picture of the actual camera
http://members.accesscable.net/~brent/pics/nikonf.jpg :

Nikon F camera with working FTN exposure meter.

I took the picture myself with my digital camera...it is a recent
photo of the actual camera for sale. The original vendor appears to
be "Olden, 1265 Broadway, NYC".

The lens is a Nikkor-S Auto 1:1.4 f=50 mm No. 579301. There is a
Soligor 1A filter, 52 mm filter, and a non-original lens cap. There
is also a screw-on converter for a cable release, and a new Nikon
T-ring.

The lens is optically flawless, but the exterior is a bit scuffed and

worn.

The shutter blind has some slight indentations, but the shutter
(totally mechanical) seems to work fine.

The major fault with the body is that the reflex mirror is a bit
sticky, and often does not return when the shutter releases. It will
drop down when "encouraged" with a finger tip. I believe that this
can be repaired by a knowledgeable (or courageous) person.

I bought the camera to use for astrophotography, as it has a bright
viewfinder and a good, fast lens, and I only wanted to use the "B"
setting.

"Photodad" wrote in message
in article , Brent at

wrote on 6/7/04 6:50 PM:

Someone has one for sale and I'm thinking of buying it. The model is
6825306. Anyone know the year of that one?

Is it just the body, or is there a finder too? If so, which finder?

If
it
is a photomic finder, does the meter still work? Is there a lens with

it?
What is the overall condition?

Depending upon the answers to these questions, the camera could be

worth
everywhere from nothing to several hundred dollars (US).

Give us more information and we can help more.

Walt