Old February 23rd 18, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Switched from Windows to Linux on old netbook. What a difference

On 02/22/2018 07:08 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Same here. I have several machines that are 10-15 years old, and
severely under-powered. They bogged down terribly with WinXP, but now
run great with Lubuntu (a light-weight version of Ubuntu).

Why bother about 10-15 years old computers when you can buy a new one
for 200 Euro?

If that is still too expensive, you could buy a Raspberry Pi and put
Linux on it.

I haven't done the Euro to Dollar conversion, but I haven't paid three
digits for any of my old computers.

then whatever you have is junk.

That's quite presumptuous, since you have no idea what brands/models
computers I have.

it doesn't mater what brands/models they are.

anything that is 'bogged down terribly with winxp' is junk. your words.
winxp is hardly resource intensive.

the reality is that they're long obsolete and cannot run modern
software.

Ubuntu (Lubuntu) 16.04 is fairly modern, and is what I am running now on
all my "long obsolete" hardware.
At the time I switched to Linux- (I don't recall the date, but it was
around the time that XP was at announced end-of-life), most of my XP
computers had trouble opening Facebook. After switching to Linux (then
Lubuntu 14.04), my oldest and least powerful machines had no difficulty
with that metric.

What if some of my hardware is Apple? Ergo, based on
your statement, Apple is junk.

a 15 year old mac is also junk, except that it won't be 'bogged down
terribly' running mac os x from its era.

Again, I'm running reasonably modern Linux on older ("junk") machines
with no difficulty.

quality costs money.

That is a generalization that is not universally true. For example,
there are companies that scrap their hardware the minute it is fully
depreciated (5 years). I have been "playing" with some pretty serious
Cisco networking gear that I acquired just by showing up at the loading
dock at the right time.

5 year old networking equipment isn't the issue.

Five year old networking gear is only a recent example. I've acquired
computers through corporate salvaging for little, if any money over the
years. Five year old computer hardware has a lot of life (and quality)
left in it.

Just because a widget is old is no reason to scrap it, especially if it
still works well enough to use.

then you must not be doing much.

On that statement, I have to agree. I'm responding to your comments, so
I'm not doing much.

By the way, are you familiar with the Shift key? Or are you a big fan of
poet e. e. cummings?

ad hominem.

e. e. cummings did sometimes use upper-case letters. Perhaps you might
consider doing the same.

--
Ken Hart