Old June 30th 12, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default Sigma highlights another problem with plastics, thermal change

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:51:44 -0700, nospam wrote:
: In article , Robert Coe
: wrote:
:
: : : now they only carry sigma lenses if there's no alternative from another
: : : manufacturer.
: :
: : So what's been your first-hand experience with Sigma lenses, "Nospam"?
: :
: : once again, personal experience for me or anyone else makes no
: : difference in the grand scheme of things. sigma makes millions of
: : lenses. buying a couple of lenses is *not* significant. it means
: : nothing.
: :
: : what *is* significant are things such as lensrental's repair rates.
: : also, sigma reusing lens id chips, which means that if you put a
: : particular lens on your camera, the *wrong* lens id is written to the
: : exif. or that nikon sued sigma for stealing nikon's intellectual
: : property on image stabilization. they totally ripped off canon for
: : their own sigma mount lenses. and if that's not enough, sigma used to
: : make lenses that were held together with cellophane tape, which not
: : surprisingly, failed and lens elements fell out.
:
: Translation of the above: "Nospam", like Wolfgang, has never owned any Sigma
: lenses.
:
: wrong, but why let facts get in the way of your blind fanboism.
:
: it's very simple: a company that buys zillions of lenses of all makes
: is in the best position to say which ones fail the most.

"Zillions?" A couple of days ago it was only "thousands". I'd guess that
"hundreds" is a more accurate description, but who's really counting?

: someone who buys a few lenses does not have enough of a sample size to
: make any conclusions, especially if they didn't do any formal testing.

Exactly what I've been saying about you! Keep in mind that I don't contradict
your opinion of Sigma's QA. I just don't believe that you can back that
opinion up with facts.

So I'll ask you again: What has been your first-hand experience with Sigma
lenses?

If I'm wrong (that you've had none), provide the correct answer. We'll all
believe you. To your credit and Wolfgang's, you both seem unwilling to
actually lie about it.

I don't have any axe to grind for Sigma. I just think that the opinions you
and Wolfgang have been throwing out are based largely on hearsay of
questionable reliability. This is your chance to set me straight.

Bob