Old October 14th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

Default Filters - Advice Please

"colly" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just bought a Canon 400D with a Sigma 17-70mm lens and a Canon
50mm lens. I have read a little about how useful lens filters can be,
and would appreciate some advice.

What are the essential filers? Polariser, UV, Fluorescent? I saw a
gallery of beautiful landscape shots the other day and the
photographer used an "ND Grad" filter on all his shots. I think there
are many different types.

You can simulate the effects of an ND grad filter using digital tools, so
those are nice, but not essential. The most essential filter is the
polarizer, which cannot be simulated digitally in any way. Get a good brand,
as well. I've tried cheaper brands, and they usually fall apart in about a
year. My B&W filters last years.

What filters are essential, and which ones are a nice extra?

I've found some on ebay that are very cheap, are cheap filters a false
economy?

Advice appreciated.
Thanks