Old October 1st 11, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default an excellent read from the ACLU

On 2011-09-30 15:11:01 -0700, Robert Coe said:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:15:21 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: Paul Furman wrote:
:
: I know a guy who shoots TV commercials. The cost is prohibitive for
: copyright permission for most any American city with modern architecture
: visible, so he has to shoot in Canada or often Eastern European cities,
: and even has had to do CGI virtual buildings if the ad needs a real
: fancy piece of modern architecture to work.
:
:
: A surprising number of TV commercials shown in the UK are shot in
: South Africa. The South African authorities bend over backwards to
: make it easy to film there, and the architecture is not so different
: to the UK.

The fact that they drive on the left there (assuming they still do) would make
it easier to maintain the illusion that a commercial was shot in the UK. The
producers of the "Miss Turkey" commercial, which I guess was intended for the
US or Canada, were careful not to show street scenes close up.

Bob

Yup! They still drive on the left. That also makes for good Japanese ads.
....and the Lexus brochure showed isolated shots of parked cars and some
on obviously closed roads with the cars driven on the right.
Here are a few captures I managed to find;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/L-GS-4.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/L-GS-1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/L-GS-10B.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/L-GS-9.jpg