Old June 29th 11, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Anyone else see this article from PC World?

In message , philo
writes
On 06/27/2011 09:37 AM, Allen wrote:
Interesting--but at what cost of resources?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23086...o_promises_to_
revolutionize_photography.html#tk.nl_wbx_h_crawl 1

or Tinyurl:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3o6t33t

Allen

I saw that
and posted the info on alt.photography

there were a few skeptics there...but personally I find it rather amazing.

If it comes out at an affordable price and the reviews are good...
I'd consider getting one

I share the suspicion that raw images are going to be memory hogs. The
system would, I think, eliminate autofocus lag, at the cost of greater
time spent processing the image after exposure.

It seems to me that it moves the cost of the system from the glass to
the sensor (and the processor).

However, while the PC World article talks about refocusing the image,
one of the applications described in the associated Ph.D. thesis is an
extended depth of field. While I see why this might not be desired in,
for example, portrait shots, it would come in handy for closeups of
flowers and insects, especially if wanted for technical illustration,
rather than artistic purposes.

Something else that I wonder whether this can supply - one can sort of
get away with photographing through fences when the fences are greatly
out of focus - but could this throw away the light from the fence so you
have a photograph which is if the fence wasn't there?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley