Old April 16th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Newbie help: Canon EOS 350D vs. Nikon D70s

I've just returned a 350D I purchased on Thursday.

I simply couldn't get sharp images from it, despite having one of the
sharpest lenses made for it (Canon 24-105L IS) fitted.

I did a comparison between the Canon 24-105L, with a much cheaper Nikon
24-120, all at f11, shot in RAW, both cameras at ISO 200 and converted with
the same sharpening. The Nikon images were sharper out of the camera than
the Canon ones after sharpening and the noise in the Canon images at ISO 200
was more noticeable than from the Nikon.

I only bought the Canon in a fit of pique because I've not been able to get
hold of a Nikon D200.

Bad mistake.

"R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want someone to help me to choose the camera.

For about 15-years I have had great passion towards photography, but
never used any camera as it is/was costlier for me to afford. I also
attended a very very basic photographic class (which is more of film
and focal length basics) 10 years ago. At that time some photographers
suggested me to buy Nikon SLR.
I was collecting money for sometime to buy Nikon SLR and came to know
that DSLR is taking the world--so again started collecting money. Now I
have some money to buy DSLR.

While searching I came to know Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s are
competitors and also good for the price. I have high difficulty in
choosing the camera as I just have enthusiasm and no knowledge on this.
I have also read many reviews including DPreview, but for me it's very
very difficult to decide.

1. What is the better among Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s? (I do not
have much of money to play with; so I want to buy the best for the
money. I hope, being a geek I can easily become pro once I get camera.)

2. Is it *really* true that Canon EOS 350D is cheaper than Nikon D70s?
(some sites say Canon kit costs $999 while Nikon kit costs $1,199)

3. It seems that in India, Nikon Thailand make alone is available. Is
it advisable to go for Thailand make (if you're suggesting Nikon)?

4. Is there any better version available for these two cameras?

Thanks for any help or comments.

--
?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/