Old August 4th 15, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

Default Risked a pot pie

On 8/3/2015 8:26 PM, MC wrote:
PeterN wrote:

On 8/3/2015 4:13 PM, MC wrote:
PeterN wrote:

On 8/3/2015 8:56 AM, MC wrote:
I wouldn't bother trying to help him at this point.

That's always your call.

He posts his images, often inviting constructive criticism
(posting alone on a ng like this you are going to get that
anyway), yet when you point out even the bleedin' obvious he is
in denial he has done anything wrong. We have all gone over
with him the same errors in his "enhancement" techniques (be it
heavy cropping, shappening etc.) time after time after time yet
he still uses the same methods to hide his inefficiencies in
the actual mechanics of taking a photograph.

The only way he can improve his photography is to dump the
post-processing malarky and practice getting it right in-camera,
posting the images straight out of camera for critique if he
wants "advice" rather than try and attempt to salvage and post
the rubbish in the hope we will not notice.

It's easy to say "get it right in the camera." That is rarely
possible, or practicable, especially with the type of work I like
to do. Could you ever get either of these images in the camera?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/baboon%20%20bliss.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/swooper.jpg

Neither example is becoming of a good photographer. They just show
just someone who can play about with a computer (first one is rather
tacky and horrible, by the way).

Trouble is, you need to get the basics right first before you try
and be something you are not. Gold is easy to make shiny because
you have a naturally shiny sunbstance to begin with. However, no
amount of polishing will make **** shiny.

Also, "A bad workman always blames his tools", this time I
notice it is his monitor taking the blame.

I don't think even you could work on a dead monitor, or even a 14"
laptop screen.

Well then, don't use them. Wait until you have the tools to work
properly, not blame your own inadequecies because your tools are
broken.

That's your opinion. It may or may not be shared. But, that is what I
like to do. I also did things like that in the darkroom. I made pin
registration masks and spent hours. I find it relaxing. You obviously
don't. BTW the second has done fairly well in competitions.

This one has done very well. It would be highly impractical unless I
cropped.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/test/snow%20leopard22%20larger.jpg

No one says you have to like it, but I do, and that's what counts.
Yes, it is extremely sharp, it needs to be.

It "needs" to be? Why does it "need" to be? Because you say so?
Nothing "needs" to be anything. You may "like" it to be but it does
not "need" to be.

Because that's what the image tells ME it want to be.

I do not criticise somebody else's taste because tastes do, indeed,
differ including mine. I will say if I like or do not like something
but I will never be critical of someone else's taste if it differs to
my own.

You just did.

However, I will criticise someone's skill, especially when they
continually ignore suggestions designed to help said person to improve
that skill. Many times you have been given advice (not necessarily
mine), many times you have ignored it and continued posting images with
the same technical errors. You are in constant denial that your images
are often flawed and you blame anything, including your tools, other
than the one thing you need to improve, basic technique.

Yes there is always room for improvement in my skills. But I usually,
not always, get the essential look I want.

--
PeterN