Old February 23rd 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
ultred ragnusen

Default Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

ultred ragnusen wrote:

Thanks for that suggestion of PhotoScape, which has a fantastically
intuitive crop locked to aspect ratio mechanism, akin to that of FastOne.

For the tribal knowledge database, here's the final? summary...
# FastStone (the aspect ratio crop is the best - on top of the picture)
# PhotoScape (just as good as FastStone, if only we could make it sticky)
# Microsoft Photos (the aspect ratio crop is sadly below the picture)
# Irfanview (a good choice simply because it's often our main viewer)
# The GIMP (the aspect ratio crop is, like all things Gimp, cumbersome)
# ImageMagick (the aspect ratio crop is, like all things IM, batch)
# ImBatch (this seems to be a GUI-based front end to ImageMagick)
# ?PIcasa? (untested as Google drives me nuts killing their updaters)
# ?