Old October 9th 04, 04:04 PM
Bruce Patis

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 02:19:34 GMT, Bruce Patis
wrote:

Windows XP and Mac OS-X added files and directories to the memory card
in my camera. I use nether of those two operating systems on any of
my computers, so here is how it happened...

Thanks, everyone, for all the info. Now I know that:

1. I didn't imagine it.grin
2. It should be reasonably safe to view or copy images from my camera
cards with a computer running those OS's.
3. Things will be more predictable if I operate the computer myself.
I was present the first time. However, since both owners also have
digicams, I just told them to use their normal procedure to view and
copy from a memory card.
4. If desired, there are options or procedures (at least in XP) to
disable or avoid writing anything to the card.

In any case, I'll probably leave things as is. The owners are used to
just clicking (or double-clicking) on files to view them, and would be
overly concerned if that no longer worked the same way. Also, neither
knew that any additional items were put on their camera cards because
it never affected their own camera's operation. Since now I know that
the additional "stuff" is definitely not harmful, I won't confuse them
by even mentioning it.

Regarding Microsoft copying things from Apple, I agree that all
computer companies copy ideas from their predecessors. Then the
copier introduces it as a great new feature in the next version of
their product. I just feel that Microsoft does that more often.

Bruce