Old May 10th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Safelight bulbs??

On 5/9/2009 2:42 PM K W Hart spake thus:

Will the series diode work with a compact fluorescent lamp? I think either
the clipped sine wave or the decereased voltage might not let the bulb work
Although the clipped sine wave might not be a problem..

*Please* don't top post.

Won't work (well) with most CFLs. Should work OK with dimmable CFLs.

By the way, it isn't a clipped sine wave; it's a half-wave rectified
sine wave.

"Murray" wrote in message

A 1 amp diode in series with the bulb will reduce the wattage
(but not by half). Try a 1N4004. 400V @ 1amp. About 10c or less.
Murray

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Richard Knoppow wrote:

AKA Beehive lamp. Get the smallest wattage compact fluorescent
lamp you can obtain and use some layers of plain writing paper
over the filter or inside against the filter. The compact
fluoresent lamps have some after glow but that should not be a
problem for a safelight. I don't think they run hot enough to
cause problems with the paper.

Thanks, and to everyone who suggested something. I went to another
lighting
store today and found a bunch of GE 15 watt bulbs (made in Hungary).I
bought
six, so I am set for a long time.

I'm still thinking about the other possibilites as I need more
safelights, and I doubt that there more Beehive lamps around
(here).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself