Old December 10th 03, 03:14 AM
Michael Scarpitti

Default spot metering help needed

whodunitinc wrote in message . ..
On 9 Dec 2003 09:17:29 -0800, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

whodunitinc wrote in message . ..
On 8 Dec 2003 07:32:13 -0800,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

It's not always POSSIBLE to be sure, no matter what we try. What's the
reflectivity of Liberace's rhinestone outfits? Do you know? How does
one meter such a thing? By experience and good estimations, to be
sure.
Rhinestones would produce spectral higlights which in my opinon would
not be the the best thing in the frame to meter.

But he's standing there on stage and you're too far away to get an
incident reading, and security won't let you any closer. You HAVE to
estimate based on the reading you get.

Hence, a 1 degree spot meter! If that don't do your too far away to be
shooting him anyway, now you're shooting the stage and perhaps
there's something else to meter.

Yes, but that may be too narrow in some cases. the answer is ther'sno
substitute for experience and bracketing in some cases.

If you take an average meter reading from spectral highlights( eg.
sunlight reflecting off rippled water, rhinestones or chrome) and want
some shadow detail you had better bracket by more than two stops!

But with experience you don't have to do that...you'll know what to
do.

'Elf'? C'mon, man. I see bad exposure all the time.

I am certain you do.

In the movies that are too cheap to use lighting.

There is a trend
to use less light nowadays, and it makes the films today look cheap.
Grainy fast films are no subsitute for watts. Light the damned scene!

Prints can vary depending on who
makes them and projection lamps are not always correct.No matter, not
all DPs are created/motivated equally, some meter better than others.
In fact the truly great ones are the ones that meter well, and they
don't use every light on the truck.