Old August 2nd 18, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default 25 days to Nikon throwing the towel as the defender of the DSLRagainst the onslaught of mirror-less.

On 7/30/2018 5:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 30, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 7/29/2018 5:32 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 29, 2018, nospam wrote
(in ) :

for example, try using a digital viewfinder in extremely low light.
either it blacks out because the light level is too low, the frame rate
drops to compensate or it amplifies what it can 'see' and the
viewfinder is too noisy to be of much use.

with an optical viewfinder, your eyes adjust.

Actually you should try that experiment with a good quality Sony, or Fujifim
MILC, you might be surprised at what you can see.

With both my X-T2, and X-E3 with a fast lens such as the 16mm f/1.4, 35mm
f/1.4, or 56mm f/1.2, and the EVF/LCD set via menu to *Preview PIC. Effect*
ON. You will find that in extremely low light, light so low that one would
think that capturing an image was impossible. The result through the EVF, or
on the LCD is such that you would think that you had a night vision scope.

Any adjustments to the EV comp dial are immediately visible, as are any
adjustments to shutter speed, aperture, or ISO. All very much WYSIWYG. It is
possible to see your subject in the darkness, and make a useful capture at
an ISO as low as ISO 1600. Use ISO 6400, or higher, and the scene in the
EVF/LCD is even brighter. As I said, almost like a night vision scope, your eyeball
cannot do that with an OVF.

If you use manual focus, focus peaking makes things simple, and accurate
even in impossibly low light, while you are not seeing too much in the darkness
through your optical viewfinder.

No matter how much your eyes might adjust when looking through an OVF all
you will see is darkness. The camera might be capable of capturing that image,
but it will not be easy.

Certainly in good light for action sport photography the DSLR is still the
tool of choice. However, the MILCs are rapidly narrowing that performance
gap, and for some action sport photographers shooting Sony, or Fujifilm,
that gap has already closed. The other big advantage that the Canon/Nikon DSLRs
have is the inventory of legacy long glass, and even now, Sony and Fujifilm
are narrowing that gap.

...and my D300S hasn’t been used for 18 months when I can capture sport
images such as this with my X-T2.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-w8DxFTk/0/7707b86c/O/i-w8DxFTk.jpg

Not exactly an example of low light.

Aah! you noticed.

It was intended to demonstrate that an MILC is capable of being useful for
sport photography.

As is my D800, although it was not designed for sports photography.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi83igj6a45hasn/Westminster%20Agility%20Trial%20beg.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN