Old February 27th 15, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default First

In article , Whisky-dave
wrote:

Sandman:
On a SLR, using live view for focusing is a very cumbersome
process, where you have to remove the camera from your eye,

Well of course, but if you're using the viewfinder you have to put
the camera up to your eye before you can see what you're taking/ or
what's in frame.

And since SLR's generally are heavier than mirrorless, this is often a more
ergonomical position.

Sandman:
press a live view button, then use the magnifying button to zoom
in on the live view, all the while holding a heavy camera with
maybe a heavy lens almost at arms length.

Why ? if you're worried enough to manually focus using a magnifier
you're probbaly doing macro work rather than taking a photo of a
plane or a car or most subjects where you hand hold.

I've yet to see a SLR with a high enough resolution LCD to give good focus
feedback without magnification. That's why most mirrorless cameras have a
dedicated magnification button and focus peaking, because the screen is too low
res to correctly display focus.

And optical viewfinder isn't always enough either, which is why we have the focus
indicator in those.

Sandman:
The only time I use live view for focusing is when I record video
using a tripod (in the studio). Otherwise, I always use the
optical viewfinder and the focus indicator. A focusing screen
would be quite helpful at times.

Yep so no problem holding a heavy camera with a heavy lens is there
?.

On a tripod? No, that is correct. Very astute of you to figure that one out :-D

nospam:
plus, if the camera has a tilt/swivel display and/or the ability
to use an external display, it's even *more* powerful. macro
work does not often offer comfortable vantage points and not
being restricted to the viewfinder is fantastic.

Sandman:
Sure, there are places where the live view is awesome, but for
most shots - at least for me - it isn't.

same here, same as using a magnifier for focusing. 'IF' focusing is
that critical handholding is pretty much useless as any advantage
in such precise focusing will be negated by moving.

Live view magnification works really well. I have it on a button on the A7 and in
the EVF, I press it and it zooms in, I set the focus manually and then I just
press the shutter halfway, it zooms out and I can take the shot. For moving
subjects I use focus peaking.

--
Sandman