Old October 12th 18, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 12/10/2018 02.25, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb stick.

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.

Ah? And how will that person do the backup? The backup has to go
somewhere. Or are you doing the backup to same disk?

automatic backups, without the user having to do anything special.

Yes yes yes. But you are not saying where are those automatic backups
stored.

either the cloud or an external hard drive. all the user needs to do is
enable backups, which is trivial.

They don't know what an external hard drive is, don't have one, and need
hours of training on how to use it. Similarly with the cloud, but even
worse because their internet is slow, and wifi is also slow.

I get called by some people when they want to copy the photos from the
camera or phone to the computer (usually when the camera is full, or
want to share the photos or print them). Windows computers. I have to do
the purchasing for them of USB sticks or whatever.

If I don't do the purchasing, they get sweet talked into contracting
expensive things they don't need and don't know how to activate and use.
I find out when called to activate those things.

Similar problem if they want to send the photos to some one, but this
got solved by using a mobile phone instead of a camera, as they know how
to use gmail. Tap photo and send.

I'm not talking of a single person, nor elderly people. Just ordinary
people, highly regarded professionals in their areas, but just able to
use a computer for the things they normally do. Any new thing needs new
training.

Ah, and I found the router was using WEP at one place.

A teacher told me of similar experiences with youths: they could do
anything with a smartphone or tablet, but had no idea of such basics as
what a file is. They can not handle a computer.

--
Cheers, Carlos.