Old November 28th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Adams[_2_]

Default $230 12MP camera?

Doug Jewell wrote:

Now go to the drop down list and choose "Barbie, detail without
flash". The Nikon is at ISO 3200, the Olympus is only at ISO 800.
Despite the ISO on the Nikon being 4x the Olympus, they are about the
same as far as noise. The Nikon colouring looks better too.

Actually, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that site. Just looked at a
few other cameras, and it appears they don't make much effort to ensure
the cameras are shooting in consistent settings. I picked a few cameras
at random, and they all had the main scene rendered at different sizes,
and the main scene seems to change quite a bit too.
If they can't maintain consistency in the scene, how are we to know if
they are using comparable camera settings? Other than the barbie without
flash, they don't say what ISO, what white balance setting, what lens,
what aperture, what shutter speed etc, they have taken the photo with.

Well, regardless of their testing methods I still agree with their
bottom line so I don't think the smaller sensor means all that much in
the end, especially considering it is quite a bit cheaper than what
Nikon and Canon offers in this range.

"The E-510 is the most complete general public reflex: stabilization,
anti-dust, LCD aiming, and 10 MP. With excellent ergonomics and very
good image quality, this camera rivals and sometimes surpasses the
current leaders, the Canon 400D and Nikon D40x."