Old August 22nd 03, 03:45 PM
Randy Stewart

"JR" wrote in message
ell.edu...
In article ,
says...
I need help establishing a value for 36 slides for the purposes of
filing a small claims action. I've read several times that
professionals use a value of $1500 per original. But since I'm just
starting out, I'd never be able to justify that (have never sold a
transparency, have only done a few weddings). I was thinking more
like $100 per slide, but how do I justify this? Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Rather than post the situation here, here is a link that explains
what's happened. I've not received a response one week after sending
the letter.(
http://www.photosig.com/go/forums/read?id=207982)

Also, any advice about how to word the letter that threatens small
claims court?

TIA
Mike

Advise:

Without a model release, you would not be able to establish any significant
commerical value for your slides. Small claims court generally can only
award money damages, not order return of your property, so that doesn't
solve your problem. Contrary to the advise of others, a "letter from an
attorney" will cost you more than this is all worth, and with a nut-job like
you ran into, it's not likely to have any impact. No attorney worth
anything would recommend the expense of a lawsuit over this, given the
subject and its value.

Taking some care to avoid the appearance of being obsessed over this matter
[which does appear to be the situation from your descriptions], you should
circulate the short version of your experience with this "model" among your
budding professional peers as a warning to avoid this person. At least you
will be doing a service and appear to adopt the attitude of a professional.
At most, the word will get back to her, conveying a message which might
cause your sildes to show up one day.

Since you have already adopted procedures which would avoid this happening
again, you should move on and otherwise forget it. In the world of
business, if all you ever get ripped off is a box of slides, you will be a
big winner.