Old August 22nd 03, 05:52 AM
Tom Pfeiffer

The value of your work as an artist isn't related to the value of other
artists work. You will need to be able to prove that the value you claim is
reasonable for *your* images, not someone else's. That means some history of
sales to establish their value.

The value is also going to be affected by your lack of a model release,
which means you don't have the right to sell the images anyway, so as a
the court.

Tom P.

"mp" wrote in message
om...
Thanks, everyone for the responses. I haven't heard anything from her
(I gave her a week to respond). In the next letter I write, I'm going
to explicitly mention the violation of my copyright and threaten small
claims court and/or pressing charges (very professionally, of course).
I fully expect I won't hear from her even after that, so I need to
figure out how much to sue for. The max in small claims is $5000.
So, $250 will be too high. In any case, does anyone have a reference
that I could cite in court that $1500 each is accepted in the
professional world? The judge won't just take my word for it. I need
a book, court case, etc. (I was thinking maybe a ASMP book might have
it-going to library later...) Also, help with the verbage for the
letter would be appreciated (such as what parts of Title 17 to quote).
Should I send her an invoice for this stuff, also? Anyone have any
examples?

Thanks again.
Mike