Old October 4th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
Charles[_2_]

Default Which camera....

"RsH" wrote in message
I am looking for a camera for use from a cruise ship's balcony to
catch whales, and to take photos as we come into and go out of ports
both for a cruise to Mexico's west coast and to Alaska. As well I want
to use the camera for other things, but a larger optical zoom factor
is a must. So the following seem to be the cameras I am considering...
Which is the best choice?

It's not the best choice, but it's your choice. The cameras have mostly
matured and converged in performance and features; thus the brand issue is
more emotional and personal than technical. You have a nice list and have
done your spadework; now:

Go handle them. Go handle them. Go handle them. I can almost guarantee
that you won't like some of them in your hands.

I teach photography and hate recommending cameras because it often comes
back and bites me in the arse. Camera feel and control ergonomics are
rather personal issues.

Also, when possible, download the user manuals and see if they are readable.