Old November 17th 17, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Cheap SD Cards

On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 11/16/2017 10:50 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 16, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Sunday I did a quick sunset shoot. Out of 46 images, several had weird
colors in unusual portions of the images.

That shouldn’t be a problem for you. weird colors in unusual portions of
the images should be right in your wheelhouse. ;-)

Not like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n3mlqf07qwmt10/_DSC7524.NEF?dl=0

Yup! That looks like a corrupt file issue. As to where that corruption is
happening one can best surmise that it was the card. However, there can be
all sorts of causes, mostly due to current, clearing the buffer, and writing
issues. So it would be best to run a check with a known good performing card
to eliminate possible issues with the camera.

What was the brand of the card in question, what was its rating, and which
camera were you using?

And, yes. I know my sensor needs cleaning.

So you noticed?

Magenta, purple and blue. The
weird colors did not show up when being viewed in Windows explorer, but
were evident in LR. The strange colors did not show up in Bridge, unless
I opened the image in ACR. The weird colors were quite evident in the
On1 browser and in Capture NXD. I must add that more weird colored
images showed up when viewed in the On1 browser, than with any other
method. My conclusion is that the corruption was caused by a bad card.
I am not interested in placing blame. I am interested in the problem not
recurring. For the first time since I've been shooting digital, I used a
card other than Lexar or Sandisk. Fortunately, those shots were just
intended to be background sky shots, so i had no real loss. It is
however the first time I have had files that were corrupted. I am
writing this to blow off some steam, and remind others who may have been
getting away with using cheap cards, that they have been lucky.

Yup! I stick to Sandisk and Lexar, and in recent months with reports of
corruption issues with Lexar CF & SD cards, and reports that they are not
doing well as a business, I am now only buying Sandisk cards.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3111535898

I have not experienced any corruption issues with either brand, but with one
Lexar 32GB 300MB/s SDHC UHS-II/U3 the lock slider was displaced on
re-inserting it into my X-T2. That effectively turned it into a read only
card which, after much trying, proved to be unrepairable. So that was a $65
card down the tubes. I still have one more of those, and four Lexar 32GB
150MB/s SDHC cards along with a whole bunch of Lexar CF cards.

All my other CF cards are Sandisk, and I have just bought 2 more Sandisk
Extreme Pro 32GB 300MB/s SDHC UHS-II U3 cards.

Savageduck