Old September 6th 07, 12:54 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
hummingbird[_2_]

Default Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:34:44 -0700 'Nathan Webb'
posted stuff on alt.comp.freewa

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:13:55 GMT, Philip Peters wrote:

Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?

Apparently the icon which is displayed in the Windows XP taskbar for any
running application is the first icon within the EXE file (icon 0) which is
stored inside the executable.

Based on my googling, this has never been asked before in the usenet
history so it's high time we started the definitive thread on changing the
windows taskbar icon for a running program.

Do you know of any free windows utility which manipulates icon[0]?

The idiots on this newsgroup don't know jack ****.

The answer is to use hidewin.

It's been out since 2002!

http://www.tawbaware.com/hidewin.htm

Yes it looks like that will also do the trick.
But it requires 'yet another program' (albeit small) to do it.
The method advised previously was to modify the .exe file to
change the icon which gets displayed in the taskbar when it's run.