Old August 3rd 15, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Photo file rename by to date and time taken

In article , Rikishi42
wrote:

You simply can't plan on far-in-the-future scenarios. Yes, some
programs will be discontinued and not supported in the future, but the
new programs developed will be able to convert.

Sorry, don't quiet agree. That would only be the case if the company
responsible for the first Assetmanager would then make the next one. Not
likely. Or, that company would need to use an open standard for it's asset
data. Very, very, very unlikely.

nope.

Besides, the data are not in the files. Meaning that if you move the files
from one system to another, whatever metadata was stored "somewhere" (never
clear) in the original system, it will just not follow.

also wrong.

That - in my opninion - is the very reason to have Exif data IN the file.
You can allways get it out again. But that sort of portable standards are
very unwelcome in certain companies, because it leaves the user free to
migrate from one system to another freely.

more nonsense.

there is an advantage to having the info in the image itself, but the
disadvantage is that if something goes wrong while updating the info,
you can lose the image.

that's why there are sidecar files.

the original images should be considered to be read-only. *never* alter
them under any circumstances.

the way it works now is drag the folder of images (which includes the
sidecars) and the metadata goes with it. there is no issue with losing
anything.

PS to the OP: my sister had a very big pile-up of unsorted pictures. She too
wanted to rename her files, using the date to regroup pictures from the same
event. So I looked around, found a Python script that would extract Exif
data, and made a little tool that moves a given file into a dated subdir,
adding date and time before the original file name. Several thousands of
files sorted in a few secs. On a very slow machine with an Atom CPU.
If you use Linux, you can have mine. For Windows, I could adapt the tool.
For Mac... that would be blasphemy, so I'll avoid it.

in true linux fashion, make it as convoluted and complex as possible.

drag to asset manager. done. no searching or rewriting scripts.

you're also being *very* disingenuous about it only taking 'a few
secs'. it took *much* longer than that, including time it took you to
search for the script and then get it working on your system. not only
that but the your sister had to ask you to help, which is more time
you're not accounting for. you're also assuming python is installed
which it might not be.

another thing your 'solution' can't do is change the sort criteria.

in an asset manager, it's a click or two to sort by whatever you want,
whether it's date, size, rating or whatever else. to do that in your
world, you'd have to edit and rerun your script *each time*, renaming
every single image. that's crazy.