Old October 27th 08, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Florian E. Teply

Default A new film from Kodak.

Toni Nikkanen wrote:
Jean-David Beyer writes:

Yes; at least, honorarily old. It also makes your photo store old. I
think Kodak stopped putting developers in metal cans in the very early
1970s, so your stuff, if Kodak, is very old. Since they were sealed in
cans, they may still be good.

Actually I went there just 15 mins ago to get some Optima 400 (220)
film developed and asked about the D-76. I took a look at the can and
while I could not find any dates on it, I got some hints. It was made
in Paris; it's 5L instead of the 3.8L, so it's certainly a made for
Europe-version. It had the phone number of Kodak Finland on it, and
it was in the newer phone number format what we started using some
time in the 90's. So I would assume it's made in the 1990's or it
could be even newer. The salesperson said she's been working at that
store for 15 years and during that time they've always had D-76 in
those metal cans.

As far as i can tell from the cans of D-76 sitting on my shelf (also
made in Paris), there's numbers stamped on the bottom which i would read
as maonth and year as production as mine read 0495 and 0897, so April
1995 and August 1997.

This different versions for each continent thing is funny; there's supposedly
an European version of HC-110 that's already somewhat diluted, but I've never
seen it. Just the regular strong syrup in 1L bottles. Nice stuff, that.

Well, i can understand that with the cans, as most europeans aren't used
to quarts and gallons but rather to litres, so a can to make 5L seems just
more convenient to me than one to make a gallon or one quart or
something like that. As long as the dilution needed stays the same, i
wouldn't care.

Yours,
Florian