Old March 22nd 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default Taking Sharp Photos Using a 6x9 Folding Camera

wrote in message ...
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
wrote in message
RolandRB wrote:
This is why nearly all attempts to use a 6x9 folder fail
at this first hurdle - the camera was not up to the task. Very few
are.

Nice post and also the reasons I like the 6 X 4.5 folders better. The
6X9 chromes are nice but with the film flatness issues etc I get better
results from the smaller negs most of the time, especially when hand
holding the camera and shooting neg film. I've also found the models
that don't use front cell focusing work better for infinity shooting,
the front cell focusing models appear to be optimized for "portrait"
distances?

Steph -

You can adjust the focus of those front cell focusing cameras yourself.
There used to be a fair number of websites explaining how to do this, but
I can't find them at the moment. aha - here is one such website. Click
on "focus adjustment."
http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/repair.html

What I am talking about is optically these front cell focusing cameras are
a compromise, not that they need repair. They appear to be designed to
work best at medium distances and then use the shifting of the front cell
as a means of getting the focus at other distances acceptable. I've found
the models that use a helix or other means of moving the whole lens
assembly to produce sharper images at the ends of the focus range.
.

mmm...I thought you were talking about the situation in which the camera
does not focus properly at infinity. I did not know you were talking about
a camera which focuses properly at infinity but not at other distances.

The implicit assumption made by the article that I cited is, of course, that
if the camera properly focuses at infinity, then it will also properly focus
at other distances. I would think that a camera focusing properly at
infinity but not at other distances suffers from some kind of serious that
requires the services of a good technician.

ummm..it is proper focus at different distances that we are talking about,
is it not?